Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) What does this song mean? (Read 109 times)
DianeEsk
Supreme Member

Re: What does this song mean?
Reply #16 - Apr 13th, 2008 at 7:47pm
Print Post  
James,

Thanks for the link, it does make the lines more clearly understood. I agree with you, and that has been my interpretation of that section as well. I never thought miller to be literally the beer but to me a refernce to how people talk more freely after a few drinks and say things they wouldnt normally say. I think this is what they were implying after reading this. No time to put thought into the added two verses...though I have read them before. Now I am wondering if that isnt where "Miller" actually came up with their name...hmmm, something else to ponder.  Smiley

Diane

IP Logged

EzraWrites
Topic Starter Topic Starter

These pretzels are making
me thirsty

Reply #15 - Apr 13th, 2008 at 1:06am
Print Post  
Doing some research to find out if 'the miller' is some slang for someone seen in British bars either now or in the past but haven't found anything. 

The idea that 'as the miller told his tale' comes from Chaucer is made quite convincing when you read what The Miller's Tale was. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Miller%27s_Prologue_and_Tale

Here is A Whiter Shade of Pale with the two omitted stanzas. The connection between the seduction scene at the bar and the perils of seafaring were supposed to be intertwined in this song before it was cut for commercial reasons. 

We skipped the light fandango
turned cartwheels 'cross the floor
I was feeling kinda seasick
but the crowd called out for more
The room was humming harder
as the ceiling flew away
When we called out for another drink
the waiter brought a tray

And so it was that later
as the miller told his tale
that her face, at first just ghostly,
turned a whiter shade of pale

She said, 'There is no reason
and the truth is plain to see.'
But I wandered through my playing cards
and would not let her be
one of sixteen vestal virgins
who were leaving for the coast
and although my eyes were open
they might have just as well've been closed

She said, 'I'm home on shore leave,'
though in truth we were at sea
so I took her by the looking glass
and forced her to agree
saying, 'You must be the mermaid
who took Neptune for a ride.'
But she smiled at me so sadly
that my anger straightway died

If music be the food of love 
then laughter is its queen
and likewise if behind is in front
then dirt in truth is clean
My mouth by then like cardboard
seemed to slip straight through my head
So we crash-dived straightway quickly
and attacked the ocean bed  

I think it clear that the whole first stanza simply describes getting/being drunk at a bar while trying to seduce his date. 

We skipped the light fandango            dancing
turned cartwheels 'cross the floor        dancing
I was feeling kinda seasick               sea reference/drunk
but the crowd called out for more      place was hopping--loud
The room was humming harder        noise heard through drunk ears
as the ceiling flew away                   ceiling spinning/ drunk
When we called out for another drink 

James

IP Logged

DianeEsk
Supreme Member

Reply #14 - Apr 7th, 2008 at 2:42am
Print Post  
Hi James,

Looks like I missed quite a bit of discussion here! 

I think maybe you are both right - in that sometimes people can write on a consious level and others on a subconscious level...and sometimes we craft our words and other times they flow as if from another source. 
I think it is possible for the song to be written without the knowledge of LSD, yet it is still there. Just as the curiosity of certain phrases that can be heard in songs when played backwards...it is there, I have heard it. I doubt the writer put it there intentionally, that would be very difficult to knowingly write something that would say something backwards. But, how did it get there?   

I cant say I personally thought the "miller" was literal as to miller beer but it did fit and it worked for me, being that I didnt really know what any other miller was. The told his tale part I did feel related to the stories that go around when people are gathered and under the influence of a few drinks. They do tend to tell tales. But I do think there were probably many people that may have taken the miller part literally. And I agree the language is quite difference and so the interpretations would be as well. 

I always thought going through his playing cards, references trying his various lines, pick up lines.

I am with you on this one, never knew what vestal meant. But I knew the other word, and just thought it may be something to the fact that she was a very young girl.   

Music is so powerful - it effects and enhances your moods. I dont think I could live without my music!

Diane

IP Logged

EzraWrites

me thirsty

Reply #13 - Apr 6th, 2008 at 11:39am
Print Post  
Daldoggy wrote on Apr 6th, 2008 at 4:23am:
Hi James,

Ok, here is the deal on Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds, please note the bold. The song was released on Sgt Pepper in 1967 when Julian was 3 years old. I certainly doubt the veracity of any story regarding Julian and a painting.

It comes from John Lennon. The LSD thing has pretty much been put to rest. Lennon said they never even knew any of the letters in their songs were short for anything. He said he even went back and looked at many of them to see for himself. LOL  Of course some of the lyrics could have been written when high. I wouldn't doubt that at all. At any rate I'll leave that subject at that. 

Quote:
Although many web sites give Procal Harem credit for jump starting the Moody Blues into prominance I reject that notion.
The 1967 Days of Future Past is one of my favorite albums of the period and slept till 1972 when Nights in White Satin became a huge hit.

To me the opening poem and ending poem from that album helped to start me writing poetry and songs. 

Cold hearted orb that rules the night,
Removes the colours from our sight,
Red is gray and yellow white,
But we decide which is right.
And which is an illusion?
Pinprick holes in a colourless sky,
Let insipid figures of light pass by,
The mighty light of ten thousand suns,
Challenges infinity and is soon gone.
Night time, to some a brief interlude,
To others the fear of solitude.
Brave Helios wake up your steads,
Bring the warmth the countryside needs.

Breathe deep the gathering gloom,
Watch lights fade from every room.
Bedsitter people look back and lament,
Another day's useless energy spent.
Impassioned lovers wrestle as one,
Lonely man cries for love and has none.
New mother picks up and suckles her son,
Senior citizens wish they were young.
Removes the colours from our sight.
Red is grey and yellow white.
And which is an illusion???.

© Justin Hayward and Graeme Edge

At any rate really enjoying the interchange here. Has been sometime since I have had a chance to talk about what used to be my first love and that is music. It took second seat to my lovely wife of 35 years ago and now 3rd to my grandchildren.

Regards, 
Robert Hullender

Knights In White Satin also one of my favorites from childhood. I think that era for the Moody Blues was by far their best. I always thought Conquistador was an MB song but it is Procal Harum. They do have a similar sound in some of their work. 

That stuff certainly makes todays pop music look like amateur night. 

James
« Last Edit: Apr 13th, 2008 at 12:44am by EzraWrites »  

IP Logged

Daldoggy

North Carolina

Reply #12 - Apr 6th, 2008 at 4:23am
Print Post  
Hi James,

Ok, here is the deal on Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds, please note the bold. The song was released on Sgt Pepper in 1967 when Julian was 3 years old. I certainly doubt the veracity of any story regarding Julian and a painting. 

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/6595610/1_sgt_peppers_lonely_hearts_club_...

However, Procal Harems Keith Reid must be very proud to have written the lyrics to Pale, but is not mentioned in the lawsuit over royalties.

Still regardless of the reasons it is a great tune. I was a professional musician for many years and played in a lot of bands. I still love to play Pale.

Although many web sites give Procal Harem credit for jump starting the Moody Blues into prominance I reject that notion.
The 1967 Days of Future Past is one of my favorite albums of the period and slept till 1972 when Nights in White Satin became a huge hit.

To me the opening poem and ending poem from that album helped to start me writing poetry and songs. 

Removes the colours from our sight,
Red is gray and yellow white,
And which is an illusion?
Pinprick holes in a colourless sky,
Let insipid figures of light pass by,
The mighty light of ten thousand suns,
Challenges infinity and is soon gone.
Night time, to some a brief interlude,
To others the fear of solitude.
Brave Helios wake up your steads,
Bring the warmth the countryside needs.

Breathe deep the gathering gloom,
Watch lights fade from every room.
Bedsitter people look back and lament,
Another day's useless energy spent.
Impassioned lovers wrestle as one,
Lonely man cries for love and has none.
New mother picks up and suckles her son,
Senior citizens wish they were young.
Removes the colours from our sight.
Red is grey and yellow white.
And which is an illusion???.

© Justin Hayward and Graeme Edge

At any rate really enjoying the interchange here. Has been sometime since I have had a chance to talk about what used to be my first love and that is music. It took second seat to my lovely wife of 35 years ago and now 3rd to my grandchildren.

Regards, 
Robert Hullender

IP Logged

EzraWrites

me thirsty

Reply #11 - Apr 6th, 2008 at 12:56am
Print Post  
Hey Robert. 

Actually the writer's of the song said what inspired it. 

"It was 'sixth member' Keith Reid who had the idea for the song, at a 'gathering' 'Some guy looked at a chick and said to her, 'You've gone a whiter shade of pale. That phrase stuck in my mind. It was a beautiful thing for someone to say. I wish I'd said it,' laughed Keith, while Gary put down his cup of coffee and struggled with a nose inhaler."

Also I think the Beatles made clear that Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds was about a drawing or painting Julian Lennon had brought home from school and shown John, which was about a favorite teacher. Julian's mother says she still has the painting. No doubt the lyrics in the song lend themselves to an acid trip though. LOL Many, many songs from the late sixties could be construed as drug related and many likely were. 

The Manfred Mann song is one that could easily have been 'drug enhanced', but did he or Springstein ever say what inspired this? I am a musician and song writer and it isn't hard to come up with lyrics like that. It just takes a little time, though that Manfred Mann song is pretty far out there as far as lyrics go. And make no mistake the various mind altering drugs can help the process!  Cheesy  But can also hinder the process, it depends on the person.  What exactly was the inspiration for the song "Wooly Bully" ? LOL  Not sure if spelled correctly. 

"And go-cart Mozart was checkin' out the weather chart to see if it was safe outside"  
That was always the most memorable line of that song for me. That is another one of those songs that I understood small bits of but never knew what the whole thing was about. 

Here is the link for Whiter Shade of Pale.

http://www.procolharum.com/awsop_lotgs.htm

James

IP Logged

Daldoggy

North Carolina

Reply #10 - Apr 5th, 2008 at 11:31pm
Print Post  
As "lucy in the sky with diamonds" by the Beatles was inspired by an "acid trip" LSD for those not old enough to remember or know,
So was this tune that has been part of my repertoire on keyboards since I first heard it in 1967.

I also used it as the background for one of my early poems when I  posted my first webpages.

http://daldoggy.home.att.net/whatis.html

Needless to say the song is a classic. 

Try explaining these lyrics from "Blinded by the light" by Bruce Springsteen but better known as recorded by Manfred Mann

Madman drummers bummers and Indians in the summer with a teenage diplomat
In the dumps with the mumps as the adolescent pumps his way into his hat
With a boulder on my shoulder feelin' kinda older I tripped the merry-go-round
With this very unpleasing sneezing and wheezing the calliope crashed to the ground
Some all-hot half-shot was headin' for the hot spot snappin' his fingers clappin' his hands
And some fleshpot mascot was tied into a lover's knot with a whatnot in her hand
And now young Scott with a slingshot finally found a tender spot and throws his lover in the sand
And some bloodshot forget-me-not whispers daddy's within earshot save the buckshot turn up the band

And she was blinded by the light
Cut loose like a deuce another runner in the night
Blinded by the light
She got down but she never got tight, but she'll make it alright

Some brimstone baritone anti-cyclone rolling stone preacher from the east
He says: "Dethrone the dictaphone, hit it in its funny bone, that's where they expect it least"
And some new-mown chaperone was standin' in the corner all alone watchin' the young girls dance
And some fresh-sown moonstone was messin' with his frozen zone to remind him of the feeling of romance

Yeah he was blinded by the light
Blinded by the light
He got down but she never got tight, but he's gonna make it tonight

Some silicone sister with her manager's mister told me I got what it takes
She said I'll turn you on sonny, to something strong if you play that song with the funky break,
And go-cart Mozart was checkin' out the weather chart to see if it was safe to go outside
And little Early-Pearly came in by her curly-wurly and asked me if I needed a ride,
Oh, some hazard from Harvard was skunked on beer playin' backyard bombardier
Yes and Scotland Yard was trying hard, they sent a dude with a calling card,
he said, do what you like, but don't do it here
Well I jumped up, turnedaround, spit in the air, fell on the ground
Asked him which was the way back home
He said take a right at the light, keep goin' straight until night, and then boy, you're on your own

And now in Zanzibar a shootin' star was ridin' in a side car hummin' a lunar tune
Yes, and the avatar said blow the bar but first remove the cookie jar we're gonna teach those boys to laugh too soon

And some kidnapped handicap was complainin' that he caught the clap from some mousetrap he bought last night,

Well I unsnapped his skull cap and between his ears I saw
a gap but figured he'd be all right

He was just blinded by the light
Blinded by the light
Mama always told me not to look into the sights of the sun
Oh but mama that's where the fun is

Copyright © Bruce Springsteen (ASCAP) 

Enjoy,
Robert 

IP Logged

EzraWrites

me thirsty

Reply #9 - Apr 4th, 2008 at 8:39pm
Print Post  
Hi Daniel. 

You mean you never heard this song before? Wow. That is some hibernation. 

I have to agree with you Daniel that it is mezmerizing. I play the guitar and when I hear another musician use a single note or just a few notes to carry a whole song and at the same time convey the feeling intended I must bow before them. No easy feat. Also the fact that this was #1 when The Beatles Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band was at its high mark speaks volumes as well. 

This song has actually replaced The Wedding March at many weddings in England. 

Its good to discover a gem long buried isn't it Daniel? I remember watching Its A Wonderful Life for the first time in 1978 and thinking it too incredible a movie to have never heard of it before then. 

Glad you joined the conversation Daniel. 

James

IP Logged

EzraWrites

me thirsty

Reply #8 - Apr 4th, 2008 at 8:25pm
Print Post  
Hi Dianne.

turned cartwheels 'cross the floor possibly dancing?

Yes definitely dancing!

The room was humming harder music getting louder, drink getting too you?
as the ceiling flew away again, drinks, room spins, etc

I never knew what these lines meant but your take makes sense. Very poetic lines I think.

as the miller told his tale one could def wonder if this wasnt a literal comment ie: the beer was talking at this point

Again a great observation. Is he actually naming Miller beer? I've found that many English bands use slang or other vocabulary specific to England that we in the states wouldn't neccessarily understand. Also, I was thinking that Miller wouldn't be a popular beer in England, at least not so much as in the U.S. But on reading that line again it may well be he just means Miller beer. It would certainly fit. 

But I wandered through my playing cards yep, he's a player

These lines now bring to mind Madam Sosostris' deck of tarot cards in The Waste Land. I've been researchng that poem too much I think. 

and would not let her be

These lines were always unclear and cryptic to me over the years. Mostly because I had no idea what a vestal virgin was. Though in context in the song it was clear this conveyed sexual overtone. 

James

IP Logged

DianeEsk
Supreme Member

Reply #7 - Apr 4th, 2008 at 7:32pm
Print Post  
Daniel,

So glad that James started this conversation, so that you were able to experience this song. I had forgotten about it until running across his post. I have since added it to my Zen and it is def one of my favorites!
Will have to check out your link when I have more time.

Diane

IP Logged

Just_Daniel
Supreme Member

Slow down; things will
go faster. ~ djr

Today's news!
Reply #6 - Apr 4th, 2008 at 6:30pm
Print Post  
Thanks, James... and Diane, for the discussion.

The song came out during the years when I was huddled in a total cocoon, so I had never even heard or heard of it.  I've now listened to a dozen versions of it, and it's absolutely mesmerizing!  

Here is the most 'mature' version I've found on You-Tube: A Whiter Shade of Pale.  The ambiguity of the lyrics and the haunting and beautiful music are obviously two major reasons that this is rated #57 among the best 500 by Rolling Stone, wouldn't ya say?

deLighting in learning, Daniel  Cool

P.S.  ... and isn't it interesting that the song is in today's news?!
« Last Edit: Apr 4th, 2008 at 6:34pm by Just_Daniel »  
IP Logged

DianeEsk
Supreme Member

Reply #5 - Apr 4th, 2008 at 4:11am
Print Post  
EzraWrites wrote on Apr 2nd, 2008 at 3:06am:
Any ideas on what these lyrics mean? 

We skipped the light fandango
turned cartwheels 'cross the floor possibly dancing?
I was feeling kinda seasick maybe a few too many drinks?
but the crowd called out for more perhaps the atmosphere, as you say a bar, which I think one could def be led to think - one wouldnt be prone to stop drinking, ya know?
The room was humming harder music getting louder, drink getting too you?
as the ceiling flew away again, drinks, room spins, etc
When we called out for another drink there's the culprit!

And so it was that later
as the miller told his tale one could def wonder if this wasnt a literal comment ie: the beer was talking at this point
that her face at first just ghostly, this is the part i always thought - at first her face JUST GHOSTLY ---she wasnt that great looking
turned a whiter shade of pale after a few beers she was starting to look like a "FAIR MAIDEN" as in a whiter or fair skinned see where I am going with this?

She said, 'There is no reason
and the truth is plain to see.'
But I wandered through my playing cards yep, he's a player
and would not let her be
who were leaving for the coast
and although my eyes were open ok, i have drank enough to know how this feels before and i dont much like the feeling
they might have just as well've been closed

The song was on the pop charts at the same moment Sgt. Pepper's was burning up the airwaves and this song was the number one single. I've always thought that the lyrics were great poetry, even way back when I first heard this song and really before I knew what poetry was! And as a musician I thought it one of those rare songs where the music and lyrics were merged into one entity.

that her face at first just ghostly,
turned a whiter shade of pale

Those are incredible lines. 

James

James,

Put some thought into this and wanted to explain my earlier comment in more detail. Hope it helps!

Diane

PS I did read the article. Enjoyed the research and remembering this great song - even viewed the live performance on youtube - it was awesome (the song is amazing). Thanks for posting this!

Oh, by the way, I wouldnt classify myself as a poet - more of a poetry lover and MAYBE a poet in training (wheels)!  Cheesy
« Last Edit: Apr 4th, 2008 at 4:19am by DianeEsk »  

IP Logged

EzraWrites

me thirsty

Reply #4 - Apr 3rd, 2008 at 8:59pm
Print Post  
I always thought this was about a guy and his girlfriend at a bar. That she actually drank too much and/or was hiding her desire to leave the relationship by getting drunk. 

as the miller told his tale

I always thought that line was 'as the mirror told his tale'. As if she was looking in the mirror and her love for him drained from her face leaving her a whiter shade of pale. Most of the lines seemed rather cryptic to me all these years. 

And no right or wrong Dianne. I am just looking for honest impressions. I read through some of the comments at the site you posted. Interesting that many referrenced Chaucer as the inspiration for the miller. 

I'll wait to see if anyone else comments before posting a link with an interview of the song writers. I think you have already read it. 

James
« Last Edit: Apr 4th, 2008 at 8:07pm by EzraWrites »  

IP Logged

DianeEsk
Supreme Member

Reply #3 - Apr 2nd, 2008 at 10:55pm
Print Post  
James,

Sorry, my misunderstanding. Unfortunately, now I have read and my views are tainted. Came back to post a link for you...found a great article about the song. Sounds like you have already been there. Here is another link which will lead you to a thread where people are discussing the meaning of the song and you may find some helpful info there (it is brief so don't expect a great deal). Not sure if I am doing the link right???
http://www.songmeanings.net/lyric.php?lid=13876&offset=25&page=2

Anyway, I always thought there was some reference to alcohol since they asked for drinks and got a tray and often thought that the ghostly face turning pale could have meant that she looked ghostly but after a few drinks was looking better - that is all I remember since it really has been a long time and I was much younger then. I was shocked when I discovered this song was from 1967! I didnt really know of the song until the '80's. Sorry I couldnt be more help. 
Diane

IP Logged

EzraWrites

me thirsty

Reply #2 - Apr 2nd, 2008 at 9:29pm
Print Post  
Hi Diane. 

I was looking more for your own interpretation.  I've had my own ideas on this song for the last 35 years and I did a little research online about where the song came from and what the writers meant. 
I like to get first impressions from other poets as to what a piece means. It helps clarify how to construct metaphors in my own work. 

James

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint